SuperDARN (Super Dual Auroral Radar Network) is an international collaboration project by eleven countries in the world. As of 01 January 2015, SuperDARN consists of twenty-two sites in the northern hemisphere and twelve sites in the southern hemisphere, covering over the northern and southern high- and mid-latitude regions. Among them, Five radars have been operated by Japanese groups (2 in Syowa Station by National Institute of Polar Research, 1 in King Salmon, Alaska by National Institute of Information and Communications Technology and 2 in Hokkaido, Japan by Institute for Space-Earth Environmental Research, Nagoya University).
During common-time mode operation, the SuperDARN network monitors global-scale ionospheric plasma convection of the high- and mid-latitude regions with time resolution of 1-2 min. The radars can also monitor ionospheric plasma density perturbations, meteor and mesosphere echoes. Using these capabilities, the SuperDARN network is used not only for the ionospheric research but also for the thermospheric and mesospheric research.
- Jun., 2021
- Dr. Nishitani et al., the first mid-lat. SD review paper received the PEPS Most Cited Paper Award 2021
- Mar., 2021
- Web page for SuperDARN 2021 virtual workshop has just been opened by South African group.
- Nov., 2020
- SuperDARN 2021 Workshop will be held online: May 24th to 28th, 2021. SuperDARN 2022 Workshop will be held in China, and 2023 workshop will be in South Africa.
- Apr., 2020
- Natsuo Sato was awarded a 2020 JpGU Fellow.
- Mar., 2020
- Deadline for submission to SuperDARN Special Issue in Polar Science journal extended to the end of June, 2020
- Feb., 2020
- SuperDARN Workshop 2020 will be held in South Africa between May 31 and June 5, 2020 hosted by University of KwaZulu-Natal and SANSA. Try to join it! Due date for abstract submission is April 10th. Details are shown at the official site, https://superdarn2019.ukzn.ac.za/
- Dec., 2019
- Deadline for submission to SuperDARN Special Issue in Polar Science journal extended to the end of March, 2020
- June, 2019
- Dr. Nozomu Nishitani (ISEE, Nagoya Univ.) has been elected as a vice Chair of the SuperDARN Executive Council.
- June, 2019
- Domestic SuperDARN meeting "present and future" was held jointly with the SuperDARN Workshop 2019 and NIPR SuperDARN Science meeting 2019.
- June, 2019
- The SuperDARN Workshop 2019 was held at the foot of Mt. Fuji, Highland Resort Hotel & Spa in Fujiyoshida, Japan from 2 to 7 June, 2019. The website is http://superdarn2019.nict.go.jp/ .
- March, 2019
- Mid-latitude SuperDARN review paper has been published in PEPS journal. The paper can be accessed here.
- October, 2018
- Domestic SuperDARN science meeting organised by 3 institutes was held at Nagoya University on October 16-17, 2018.
- January, 2017
- 2nd ISEE/CICR International Workshop on "Review of the accomplishments of the mid-latitude SuperDARN network" was held at Nagoya University.
- November, 2016
- "About SuperDARN" pages are available.
- August, 2016
- SuperDARN JAPAN website is partially available.