Updated @ December 2014
Welcome to 'Masaki Kanao @ NIPR'
Science Research Targets:
He is chiefly interested in Earth's evolution from geophysical data, particularly by seismological studies. Polar regions, both in Arctic and Antarctic, have been investigated by several avairable seismological methods such as passive & aticive sources. He also intestested in present soild structure, dynamics and past tectonics of the continental lithosphere, derived from field surveys and computer sciences. Antarctic continent, once as a menber of Gondwna super-continent, is a main target field to reveal the lithospheric evolution.
He has been managing the seismological observations of the Japanese Antarctic permanent station, i.e., Syowa Station of East Antarctica, and sorrounding continental margin area of Western Enderby Land - Eastern Dronning Maud Land. In orde to maintain continous monitoring observations of the broadband & short period seismometers, he has been obliged in advancing the data aquisition & transmission system by satellite communication for more than fifteen years.
In recent years, he started international cooperative studies in the Shiberian region, Arctic Eurasia continent, by making use of broadband seismic observations with the member of Russian Academy of Science. These investigations and observations in the Arctic region, together with Antarctic surveys, have significant contribution to the development of global Earth sciences, Federation of Digital Seismological Network (FDSN) and International Lithospheric Program (ILP), IASPEI.
Data management (chiefly meta-data archives) for the retrieved data from both Polar region for all science branches are some part of his task as a Polar Data Center. He has been a member of SCADM (JCADM) under SCAR, and IPY data sub-committee under ICSU/WMO Joint Committee.
- AGAP/GAMSEIS IPY-
Main Topics and Activities:
His scientific activities aim to elucidating the processes of continental growth over the history of the Earth, from the perspective of the physical interactions on Solid Earth due to current global environmental change and in terms of geophysics, tectoniphysics and tectonics. He makes use of various kinds of geophysical data, most importantly is the long-term seismological information collected in polar region (e.g., travel time, waveform, epicenter).
More specific areas of research are:
(1) monitoring of variation characteristics of the Solid Earth, earthquake activities including ice-quakes, glacial earthquakes, in relation to time-space variations of the ice sheets, sea ice and oceans connected with current environmental changes, in particular global warming;
(2) the structure and dynamics of the crust to upper mantle, and the processes of super-continent formation and separation; the structure and dynamics of the Earth’s interior (lower mantle to core), as seen from the both poles;
(3) fundamental study of observation techniques and data communication and archiving techniques for remote polar locations, and construction of a scientific database to contribute to research resources; monitoring seismic observation at Antarctic stations to contribution to FDSN, ISC and other global networks and centers.
(4) contribution to real-time prevention in the event of disasters such as major earthquakes and tsunamis using INTELSAT satellites;
(5) observation of infrasound in polar region so as to monitor the physical interaction between atmosphere, ocean, cryosphere and geosphere, with contributing to CTBTO in high southern latitudes;
(6) active promotion of international joint research at both poles in order to acquire the precious data in high latitudes, which serves as the basis for many analyses, and also to promote collaborative research works with many involved scientists.
Research and Development Activities (linked to "researchmap") ; (Japanese, English)
Polar Seismology ; program introduction and related documents, Japanese Antarctic data for polar seismology
Please contact to the following address.
Polar Seismology: http://polaris.nipr.ac.jp/~pseis/
Syowa Station: http://polaris.nipr.ac.jp/~pseis/syowa/
GARNET / AGAP: http://polaris.nipr.ac.jp/~pseis/garnet/
NIPR Science Meta-database: http://scidbase.nipr.ac.jp/
IPY Japanese Committee http://polaris.nipr.ac.jp/~ipy/index.htm
This work by Masaki Kanao is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License